- Please send me an email identifying a grade you believe you deserve on your next report card and why you feel you deserve this grade. Send your answer to my email address by Tuesday, November 13. This is the criteria I consider when giving you the grade I believe you deserve:
- attendance – “no absences” and never being late; if you must be absent or late, you always send me a text or email before the class informing me of your absence or tardiness.
- homework – doing ALL HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENTS!
- pushing out of your comfort zone – try things you would not normally do like asking questions in class, being a class host to welcome our guests to Hope High and introducing them to your classmates at the start of class, going on field trips, etc
- Hand in your permission slips for our November 30th field trip to LaSalle Academy next Friday, November 16th.
Today’s guests were 4 friendly, conscientious LaSalle Academy juniors who
shared their strategies for finding “the right” college to develop their talents and find a fulfilling career opportunity.
- For those students who have NOT given me your resume, send your resume to my email address OR give me a printed copy next class. Follow the resume format posted on the October 19th blog posted on this web site. Your resume is important. Thank you.
- Send your 5 Clifton Survey Strengths by Tuesday, November 6th, to my email address. I will add your strengths to your business card information. I am hoping to have PRINTED BUSINESS CARD PROOFS for you to approve by November 16.
- WE ARE PREPARING FOR DECEMBER 5th’s FUTURE FORUM. As a result, please finish your reading of THE FUTURE book. I am hoping your reading of the book will prepare you for the workshop portion of the forum where you’ll be asked in your small group to share an idea for a future career. The forum workshop is meant to challenge you, to liberate your imagination, ignite your creative thinking, to share your ideas about a possible career or new business you could start; it does not have to be probable, only possible.
- Please send me an email by Tuesday, November 6th identifying a phrase, sentence, or photo you encountered in THE FUTURE book which resonated with you. In other words, tell me the phrase, a quotation, sentence, or photo in The Future book which caused you to pause and think about ‘its‘ potential impact on you and your life.
- Check out the agenda for the FUTURE FORUM workshop listed below:
Future Forum 3
- 9:am – Meet/Greet and Networking:
Students meet and welcome our guests: corporate ‘Futurists’ and visiting LaSalle Academy students. Students will exchange business cards and continue to build their networks in the process.
- 9:30am – Opening remarks by Stephen Cronin
9:40am – Visions of the Future:
• Steve Cronin will interview 2 futurists about their visions of what our students will encounter when they enter an “artificially intelligent” (AI) influenced job market post 2024.
10:00am – Workshop Activity.
• Students will organize into small groups with one or two corporate ‘Futurists’ for a collaboration to determine an interesting, potential economically successful, ‘future career opportunity’. This activity will begin with each futurists taking 5 minutes to speak with students in their group about their career path and their present job. After each group’s collaboration about a POSSIBLE future job or career pursuit, a group spokes person will answer the following questions:
The service or product the student group creates and sells
The customer – who will buy the product or service the company sells; e.g automobile owners, aqua-farmers, space travelers, fashion retail stores, parents, adolescents, adults, everyone, etc
The role artificial intelligence will play in the company; NB – please give at least 3 examples of tasks AI will perform in the company
The name of the company the students start OR the company they will work for.
Marketing channels (newspapers, television, social media, direct mail, etc) used to reach its customers and attract new ones
The geographic market the company will serve; e.g international, just African countries, just United States, just Europe, just Iceland, just Texas USA, intergalactic, etc
The role each student will play in the company
The President of the company
11:15am – Announcements – one student from each group will present their
2025 career vision.
11:50am – Closing comments – Stephen Cronin
Noon – Networking over a delicious Lunch at Hope High School: follow up student networking opportunity with our guests.
1pm – Dismissal
Today’s Hope Life Skills’ guests were Edwin Silverio and Kirtley Fisher.
Kirtley is the Associate Chief of Staff at the Rhode Island Department of Education. Edwin is an Advisor in the Pharmacy Returns Division of CVS Health, a $200 billion dollar company located in Woonsocket, RI.
Our Life Skills hosts,
charged with welcoming our guests to Hope High School and introducing them to their Life Skills classmates, were
Khadiatou Njie and Aaron Chy.
Both Edwin and Kirtley came to Hope High today to
introduce PAID summer internship opportunities to the Life Skills class.
- Please begin reading “The Future” book. In preparation for the FUTURE FORUM on December 5th, we will have a class discussion on Friday, December 1st, about this book. Your impressions of what you read in “The Future” book will be discussed during this class. Please be prepared; we may have guests from another school at this class.
- Please complete your personal resume, print a copy and bring it to our next class. Please remember: use a “professional looking” email address; use key words in your SUMMARY, if possible, like “creative“, “dependable“, “hard working“, “responsible“, “focused“, and “leader“. Furthermore, try to show in the experiences you list where you have been ‘responsible’, ‘creative’, ‘focused’ and a ‘leader’. Thank you.
Today’s guest was Ray Nunez, the Program Coordinator at Leadership Rhode Island.
Leadership RI is a non-profit organization which brings people together, like a networking community, to maximize each person’s potential and, in the process, the companies and organizations they are part of.
Ray Nunez joined our class today
to administer the Clifton Strengths Assessment, an online personal survey that identifies each user’s strengths.
The authors of the survey believe they can identify what people are good at. Ray Nunez explained “the survey creators believe in focusing on people’s strengths, what we’re good at, rather than what we’re not good at.
By focusing on our strengths, we will be more successful
in our jobs and relationships. We’ll feel fulfilled. And, the companies and organizations we work for will benefit as well.
Today’s survey will identify your strengths so you can focus on potential jobs and relationships which take advantage of those strengths”
1. Start creating your resume. Nan will return on October 29th for a class on job interviewing skills. Please try to have your resume done for this class. Please be prepared to give me a hard copy (on paper) of your resume at our October 29th class. I look forward to reading it. Thank you.
2. December 5th is The FUTURE FORUM. PLEASE start reading “THE FUTURE” book I passed out in class today. If you were not given “The Future” book today, please catch up on your homework assignments so I can give you the book next class. The Life Skills homework assignments prepare you for the significant amount of work you will be expected to do in college as well as the skills needed for successful jobs and careers. “THE FUTURE” book will ALSO prepare for the FUTURE FORUM. Please remember, over 20 corporate futurists from all over the world and the United States as well as students from LaSalle Academy and one other private school will attend the Forum. “The FUTURE“ book will inspire you to think creatively. Seguro! As a result, you will have great ideas to share in the workshop sessions of the FORUM where you will collaborate with corporate futurists to imagine careers, jobs, even companies you can start in YOUR FUTURE. Knowing all of you as I do, I know you will find the workshops fun. I am also confident you will amaze yourself with the creative, innovative, imaginative ideas you will come up with during the Forum workshops. Seguro! Keep working hard. I’m proud of you.
3. For those who don’t have your profile on LINKEDIN, please create one by going to LinkedIn.com. All of you, please ask Marta Aparicio, a graduate student at Columbia University studying International Relations, to “connect” with you through LINKEDIN. Marta is studying to be a United States ambassador representing America at a United States embassy in a foreign country. Marta is a 2o10 graduate of Hope High and our Life Skills class. She is amazing! You will meet her on January 4th!
Today’s guest was Nan Quinlan.
Nan is a well respected business consultant who advises companies and individuals about maximizing career, job and business opportunities.
From advising company leaders how to maximize their employee talents and developing strategies for successfully resolving challenging situations to helping individuals write ‘opportunity-creating’ resumes and preparing for ‘life changing’ job interviews, Nan has been sharing her expertise for the last 8 years with the Hope High School Life Skills class.
Today’s lesson was about creating an opportunity-creating resume!
“Good resumes don’t guarantee a job. Good resumes help you differentiate yourself from the other applicants to get the opportunity to tell your compelling story in a job interview” Nan said. “Your ability to tell your convincing story, how you will add value to the company, takes place in your interview. I’ll be back in two weeks to teach your some proven interview skills and strategies. Today’s about your resume!!!!”
- If you have not set up a LINKEDIN site, please do asap. Then, ‘CONNECT‘ with me on LinkedIn. Find ‘Stephen Cronin’.
- Check the HOMEWORK REPORT I distributed in class today. If you are missing any homework assignments or you have not sent me your business card information, please, send them to me before next class. Thank you. If you have issues preventing you from doing any assignment, let me know at your earliest opportunity.
- I will be passing out the eyebrow raising, jaw dropping, mind boggling, “No Way!!!” declaring, curiosity igniting, imagination arousing, creativity inflaming, ‘aburrido’ extinguishing, jump up and down causing, collaboration rallying, confidence building, “THE FUTURE” book at our next class to those students who are committed to the Life Skills program. THE FUTURE book is the start of our preparation for December 5th’s FUTURE FORUM AT HOPE HIGH SCHOOL where the Hope Life Skills class will be hosting 20 corporate guests from a variety of industries and countries as well as students from other schools in the state of Rhode Island for a conversation about ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE’S IMPACT ON FUTURE CAREERS. This book is a ‘must read’ to properly prepare and get the most out of the Forum experience. For a preview of the FUTURE BOOK, click on the book cover with the photo below on this web site. For those students committed to this class, you’ll receive a hard copy of the book next class.
Today’s guest was Anthony Muhammad,
one of the largest banks in the World,