1. Please bring TWO sheets of paper and a pen to next Friday’s class. Next week’s class will feature guest, Nan Quinlan, who will help us prepare a JOB WINNING resume.
2. Please read the Washington Post article I distributed in class entitled “The Surprising Thing GOOGLE Learned About Its’ Employees – And, What This Means for Today’s Students“. Please identify ONE SKILL you have that you would mention during a job interview with Google. Next, please give me an example of when and how you used this skill effectively in the past. As always, please send your well written statement with SHORT SENTENCES, perfect spelling, good grammar and punctuation to my email address no later than Tuesday, January 23th, 2018, before I go to bed.
Nan Quinlan discussing the best ways to position your brand in your job resume with a previous Life Skills class.
Today’s Hope Life Skills host was Nayely Furcal Marte.
Nayely (left) meets Maya before the start of today’s class. Please notice the scarf Nayely is wearing. It is one of Maya’s scarfs made out of bamboo!!!!
Nayely introduces Maya to her classmates at the start of today’s Hope Life Skills class.
Ashlely Charles welcomes Maya to today’s class immediately following Nayely’s introduction as other students wait to extend a similar greeting to Maya. As you can see, Ashley’s greeting is perfect – a welcoming greeting, great eye contact, a genuine smile and firm handshake.
1. Please read today’s blog posted on this web site about Marta’s visit. Then, please tell me something that Marta shared with us today that could help you in your own quest for personal success. Please send me your well written statement with perfect spelling in one or more short sentence(s) with good grammar by Monday, January 15th, before midnight.
2. Please read pages 1 through 19 in the Peter the Great book posted on this web site. Then, write ONE goal and the benefit you HOPE to achieve from this goal that you will complete by September 2018. IDENTIFY THE BENEFIT FIRST AND THEN WRITE THE GOAL IN THE MANNER DESCRIBED IN THE BOOK. Send your well written statements about your benefit then your goal with perfect spelling, good grammar in one sentence to my email address by Monday, January 15th, before midnight.
3. After reading pages 1 through 19 in the Peter the Great book, please tell me something you read in the Peter the Great book that made you think about your plan for success; it may be something you’re not doing or thinking about now that you should be doing. Please tell me what you read that made you think about your plan in a well written statement with perfect spelling, good grammar in one or more short sentence(s) to my email address by Monday, January 15th, before midnight.
4. We are taking Marta’s advice about READING MORE. Please read the newspaper article I gave you today in class entitled “Graduate of the Year“. Please give me ONE ADJECTIVE that describes your reaction to this article. ONE WORD; ONE DESCRIPTIVE WORD that tells me how you felt after reading this article. Send your one word reaction with perfect spelling to my email address by Monday, January 15th, before midnight.
5. Please tell me ‘yes’ or ‘no‘ if you have sent Marta an email following her appearance in our class today. I don’t need to know what you said to Marta. Just want to know if you followed up with her. I will check with her later next week to see how many emails she has received to date. Send your one word reaction with perfect spelling to my email address by Monday, January 15th, before midnight.
Employment Case Manager for the Jobs Plus Initiative at the Providence Housing Authority. Our Hope Life Skills class
host for Marta’s visit was Kevin Estrada.
Kevin Estrada welcomes Marta Aparicio on her return to Hope High School and the Hope Life Skills class.
Kevin introduces Marta to today’s Hope Life Skills class. Well done, Kevin.
Mariana Guerrero Pimental welcomes Marta to our class following Kevin’s introduction. Great job by Mariana! Notice Mariana’s great eye contact, firm handshake and smile. Laisha Mendez follows Mariana and awaits to do the same.
I opened today’s class saying “I believe some of you will become very successful adults. I could just as easily be saying ‘all of you will become very successful’ if I was confident that all of you will be committed to do the things Marta has done to become the successful person you aspire to be just as Marta has done throughout her life. Marta will share her life story.
You all have the intelligence to be successful adults!
Regardless what you’ve heard to the contrary or how you sometimes feel about yourself, I am positive you can be as successful as you aspire to be.
The determining factor will be your commitment to the success you aspire to.
1. Here’s an interesting video. So many of us too often state we can’t get something done by a deadline because we’re too busy with other things going on in our life or we’re too nervous to introduce ourselves to someone we’d like in our network or too embarrassed to play the role of HOST for one of our Friday morning classes. “Oh, I’ve been too busy, Mr Cronin to do the homework…….” ……”Oh, I’m too embarrassed to introduce someone.…….” This video is the story of a remarkable high school girl who is never too embarrassed to try something she is challenged to do, and often fail, but continues to persevere and try harder to get better so she can be the best she can be.
Isn’t this the goal we all have?
After watching this video below, please send a well written statement composed of short sentences, good grammar and punctuation and perfect spelling to my email address by December 27th, 2017, about what YOU COULD DO that you’re not doing now by simply “pushing out of your comfort zone” to be the best you can be.
2. Please read my blog on Today’s class and tell me what you think about what we discussed in class today. Please tell me one thing you agree with AND WHY you feel this way and, if there is anything you disagree with, what you disagree with AND WHY you feel this way. Please send a well written statement composed of short sentences, good grammar and punctuation and perfect spelling to my email address by December 27th, 2017.
3. Please tell me the name of one person you met in our class this year that YOU SENT AN EMAIL TO WISH THEM “HAPPY HOLIDAYS and Happy New Year!”
4. After listening and reading our list of coming events and guests during Friday’s (December 15th) class for the second half of our class, please state a PERSONAL GOAL(s) you have for the second half of our Hope Life Skills class. For instance, you might indicate being invited to go with the class on our tour of a college campus OR being chosen for a paid CVS Health summer internship at CVS offices in Woonsocket, RI OR meeting and adding an FBI agent to your personal network in one of our classes. Please send your well written statement composed of short sentences, good grammar and punctuation and perfect spelling to my email address by December 27th, 2017. Thank you.
5. For those of you interested in the story of Kayla Montgomery, the female track star battling the debilitating disease, MS (multiple sclerosis), here’s a video of what she’s doing now in college.
Today’s guest was Stephen Cronin, the teacher of the Hope Life Skills class.
Lisanyis Gonzalez was today’s host, welcoming Mr Cronin
to the class and introducing him to the students.
Why the formality when everyone knows Mr Cronin?
Lisanyis Gonzalez exchanges business cards with Mr Cronin prior to the start of today’s class.
Today’s class was a review of the first half of this school year’s Hope Life Skills class.
From Mr Cronin’s performance as teacher and the quality of the weekly class guests and special events like BIF and the Future Forum to Mr Cronin’s concerns about student performance and coming events for the 2nd half of this year, today’s conversation was a review of what’s happened to what’s coming next. Mr Cronin then introduced and explained the concept of
“quid pro quo“;
in other words, Mr Cronin said he expects students to work as hard as he works preparing classes and special events. He also said student effort will determine what they are invited to and considered for. This means
student attendance and homework completion in the second half of this school year will affect who goes to special field trips and events
like our annual “jobs info day at the CVS corporate officesin Woonsocket, RI, a college campus tour, and a
May 1st special event called “Designathon.
If student homework is not close to being up to date and if class attendance is not good, these students will NOT be invited to these events. Furthermore, nominees for
paid summer internships and scholarships for the National Youth Leadership Forum on CSI and Law in Washington, D.C. for 5 days in July
will only be extended to students with good homework completion and attendance. Just as companies will NOT accommodate special requests from employees who have poor attendance and incomplete homework assignments, Hope Life Skills will likewise do the same.
This is quid pro quo.”
Students suggested the creation of
an app for the Hope Life Skills class.
“Great!! I’ll look into this. May take until next year but it sounds like a good idea” Mr Cronin said. And, “what about
a text message to all students
when you, Mr Cronin, post our weekly homework assignment on our web site?” Mr Cronin said he would work on this too.
And, after Rosa said she liked the inspirational videos posted on the Hope Life Skills web site, Mr Cronin responded
“Rosa, I will try to post more inspirational videos.”
Mr Cronin ended today’s class with
“Feliz Navidad!!! Feliz ano nuevo!! Y, Dios te bendiga!“
1. Please identify what you enjoyed most about The Future Forum. Please send your well written statement in short sentences with perfect spelling and good punctuation and grammar to my email address before Monday, December 11th, 11:59pm.
2. We frequently speak about the importance and benefit of constructive criticism in our Hope Life Skills class. Please send one suggestion which might improve the Future Forum in a well written statement in short sentences with perfect spelling and good punctuation and grammar to my email address before Monday, December 11th, 11:59pm.
3. Please give me the name one Future Forum 2 guestyou have sent a follow up email to.
4. I appreciated your feedback in class on Friday about whether we should keep Future Forum 3 in December of 2018 for Hope Life Skills students ONLY or invite students from a private school to join the Forum as we did for Future Forum 1 last school year. Please share your preference andwhy you feel this way in a well written statement in short sentences with perfect spelling and good grammar and punctuation to my email address before Monday, December 11th, 11:59pm. I truly appreciate your candid feedback. Thank you.
Mark Huang, Director of Economic Development for the City of Providence, addresses the audience at Future Forum 2
when you bring together twenty successful, forward thinking entrepreneurs, college professors, social activists, technologists, designers, health care change agents, marketers, trainers, oceanographers, and artists
with several of Hope High School’s best and brightest?
I encouraged all of you to prepare for Future Forum 2.
The better we prepare, whether it’s a softball game, an exam, or a networking event like the Future Forum, the better our chances for the success we hope to achieve.
I encourage you to watch the videos posted here. The speaker, Masayoshi Son, is Japan’s wealthiest person. Be patient watching this video. However, if you can, it will be worth your while. Watch and listen. You will not only learn a lot; many of you will become more curious, more creative and more confident.
‘Masayoshi Son’ is worth $23.5 BILLION! despite having lost most of his wealth in the year 2000
when his investments in internet companies failed. He didn’t quit; he persevered! Today Masayoshi Son is the Founder and chief executive officer of SoftBank, the chief executive officer of SoftBank Mobile, and current chairman of Sprint Corporation.
Masayoshi Son believes ‘AI’, Artificial Intelligence, will increasingly change our future.
He has stated the year 2017 is the tipping point for the world’s focus on AI, Artificial Intelligence. From this year forward, there will be more and more conversations, investments and uses of artificial intelligence devices. Siri, Google and Ford driverless cars, Rumba vacuum cleaners, drones, to name a few, are here NOW! UnderArmour is designing and producing intelligent sportswear with AI in the fabric of the clothing. In fact, Masayoshi Son predicts
in “30 years, when the population of the earth will be 10 BILLION, there will be 10 BILLION robots on the earth as well“.
Tuesday’s Future Forum is our first step getting prepared for this eventuality.
You are intelligent and creative enough to be successful in a world of artificial intelligence. Yes, you are! Keep being curious. Don’t be afraid to be imaginative. Work hard always.
Push out of your comfort zone!
And, keep building networks of diverse, curious, hard working, respectful people who always do the right thing.
If you examine your network and everyone looks like you and has the same interests as you, you are missing opportunities for success.
Build a diverse network of good people who have similar AND different interests as you.