- Send me your BUSINESS CARD information before Sunday night, 11:59pm.
- click here for the Business card template showing the information you will send me. Business Card template-
- Fill in YOUR TIME MANAGEMENT WORKSHEET and bring to class next week WITH THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:
- the day you’ll be sending me your business card information.
- THEN, FILL IN ONE activity each day THAT IS something HELPING YOU ACCOMPLISH YOUR LIFETIME GOAL OR A WEEKLY OBJECTIVE. (i.e. Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday). All I need to see is ONE ACTIVITY EACH DAY on your worksheet but that one activity must an activity that helps you become a successful student and person. Bring this worksheet to next week’s class and give it to me. Make sure your name is on your worksheet. PLEASE MAKE SURE I CAN READ YOUR WRITING!!!!!!! PLEASE.
- Fill in the FAMILY CONTACT sheet so I can contact your parent, guardian, or mentor TO introduce myself and the LIFE SKILLS Program. I want your parent, guardian, or mentor to know and understand what we do in this class. TURN THIS SHEET IN TO ME AT NEXT WEEK’S CLASS. THANK YOU.
- Complete the TIME MANAGEMENT worksheet I passed out in class today. Read the second page FIRST before answering the questions on the first page. Bring your worksheets to class next week. MAKE SURE YOUR PENMANSHIP IS NEAT, please, SO I CAN READ YOUR INTERESTING ANSWERS. SECONDLY, PLEASE WRITE SHORT SENTENCES WITH GOOD PUNCTUATION (COMMAS AND PERIODS) AND PERFECT SPELLING. If you get confused completing this assignment, please feel free to email me any questions you have. REMEMBER, your questions will always be viewed as good questions. If a question is important to you, it’s important to me.
- HERE’S A NEW TERM FOR SOME OF YOU – SKIM. Please skim the entire THE FUTURE BOOK; in other words, just read the words in red or highlighted in yellow accompanying each photo or image. THEN, after skimming the entire book, identifyONE TOPIC connected to a photo or photos that made you ‘think‘, possibly ‘concerned‘, ‘afraid‘ or ‘angry‘, maybe ‘confused‘, or even ‘curious‘ for more information. THEN, after identifying the topic that made you ‘think’, tell me ‘what’ your favorite topic/photos made you think about. Please, short sentences. Perfect spelling. Good punctuation, i.e. periods, commas, etc. SEND YOUR ANSWER TO MY EMAIL ADDRESS NO LATER THAN WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 9, 11:59PM. Thank you. I look forward to reading your answers.
- Please describe, in well written sentences, your perception of Arnell Milhouse’s personal brand. Short sentences. Perfect spelling, punctuation, and capitalization. And, of course, you read your description before sending it to my email address to ensure my perception of your brand will be an impressive one. Please make sure I receive your response by and not later than Wednesday, October 2nd, 2019, 11:59pm. Thank you.
- Please, watch these 2 videos featuring, Sophia, the first Android to be awarded ‘citizenship’ status in a modern day country (Saudi Arabia). THEN, answer the following questions. Remember, I am convinced you are an intelligent, creative, push out of your comfort zone person who is more than willing to work hard and network to be successful. YES YOU ARE!!! Imagine…..
- you are the owner of a company. Please tell me –
- the name of your company,
- describe the services or products your company sells
- does the service or product you make bought by people (B to C) or companies (B to B)
- describe the person or company that would buy your services or products; for example –
- if your customers are people, is the person who buys your products or services male, female, or both; what is the typical age of the person who buys your product or service (adults or kids) OR do all ages of people have an interest in buying your product or service; are they rich or middle class OR is anyone able to afford to buy you products and services; do they live in a specific city, country or part of the world or is any person in any city or country interested in buying your products or services; is there are specific ethnicity or race more interested in your services or products or does every ethnicity or race of people interested in buying your products or services;
- if your customers are companies, describe the typical company interested in the service or product you sell. Explain how your product or service helps the company that buys your product or service.
- describe the job you would program Sophia to do. (Remember, Sophia is a ROBOT. Don’t let her lipstick and voice limit your creativity and imagination for the job(s) you would program Sophia to do for your company.)
- you are the owner of a company. Please tell me –
- Please send your answers to my email address before but no later than Wednesday, September 25th, before 11:59pm. Don’t forget our tenants for acceptable written communication: perfect spelling, good grammar, correct capitalization and punctuation, and short sentences. Read your answers before sending them to me. Thank you. I look forward to receiving your answers.
- Create your Name Card, by indicating your FIRST NAME ONLY, in big, bold letters and bring it to the next class.
- Indicate the ‘business card’ design you prefer, i.e. #1. the business cards we have used for several years OR #2. the new design I circulated in class today. click on this link for the business card template of the Hope Life Skills card we’ve used for the past few years – Business Card template– OR – Press on this link for the different design: Business Card HOPE LIFE SKILLS2
- Read the article I distributed in class today or click on this link to the article “THE BRAND CALLED YOU” by Tom Peters (https://www.fastcompany.com/28905/brand-called-you). After reading this article – #1. give me the name of a person you think has a great personal brand and describe your perception of this person’s personal brand. #2. what do you think is the best thing others perceive in your personal brand. LET ME Be CLEAR; I WANT TO KNOW ‘WHAT OTHERS ACTUALLY THINK ABOUT YOU’ NOT WHAT YOU WANT THEM TO THINK ABOUT YOU. #3. If I were to offer you a well paid position working in my company, please identify ONE of your QUALITIES that would bring value to my company; in other words, this quality of yours would definitely help my company be successful. #4. if you could change one thing about the way others perceive you, i.e. your personal brand, what would that one thing be. #5. YES OR NO – do you use social media – Instagram, Facebook, TWITTER, etc? #6. If you do, if people only knew you from what you posted on social media, what would their perception be of the personal brand you have created on social media? LET ME BE CLEAR; I WANT TO KNOW ‘WHAT OTHERS ACTUALLY THINK ABOUT YOU’ NOT WHAT YOU WANT THEM TO THINK ABOUT YOU. #7. Yes OR No – are you happy with the perception people have of the personal brand you’ve created by your social media postings?
- Send your answers to my email address no later than Wednesday, September 18, 11:59pm. Please – perfect spelling. Use short sentences with proper punctuation (capitalization, periods, commas, exclamation points, questions marks, etc. I look forward to reading your answers. Thank you.
- There are two questions for this week’s homework, the last Life Skills homework of this school year.
- Tell me the grade you think you deserve based on the criteria we have spoken about and what I have written below to show the sophomores I will speak to in the library in June.
- I would ALSO appreciate your feedback on the following grading information I plan on distributing to Hope sophomores who are considering enrolling in the Life Skills class next year. Please tell me what you think about this explanation for grading in the Life Skills class.
- Please send me your answers to both questions by Wednesday, June 5th. Thank you.
Presentation to Sophomores: Grade Criteria –Hope Life Skills
Your Life Skills grade will be based only on your ‘effort’. Specifically,
- if you come to class each week. For those classes you cannot come because of unforeseen circumstances, ALWAYS send me a text or email informing me of your absence or tardiness.
- If you attend our special events and field trips.
- If you always have your business cards when you come to class, on field trips, and special events and exchange them with people you meet.
- If you do your homework each week. For the homework you cannot send me ‘on time’ because of unforeseen circumstances, send me a text or email informing me of your inability to send your homework to me when due and then you identify a date when you will send me the homework.
- If you welcome our guests to class with a friendly greeting, a firm handshake, good eye contact, and a smile.
- If you always show respect to our guests in class by your attentiveness and your body language, i.e. how you sit, if you pay attention while they speak, etc.
- If you always do what you say you will do.
- If you establish and maintain a LinkedIn site and you “Connect” through LinkedIn with the guests you meet during the year.
If you do all of this, you will always get an ‘A’ in this class.
Here’s the reason why your grade is based on your “effort”. Studies have shown that ‘success in life’ is primarily influenced by ‘hard work’. The reason young people in countries like Finland, Singapore, South Korea, and Poland do much better on international tests than Americans is ‘hard work’. The students from these foreign countries and their families do not have some genetic advantage making them more intelligent; data has proven these foreign students simply have worked harder on their school work over a longer period of time than most American students(1). By the same token, the reason American students from affluent families who attend private schools do better on standardized tests than students from less affluence attending inner city public schools is the same reason, i.e. these students also have focused and worked harder for a longer period of time on school work and academics. We can catch up, by being more focused and working harder!! We can even surpass those who have had a head start. You’ll meet people this year in class who have……..
- the information above on “success” comes from “The Smartest Kids in the World and How They Got That Way”, Amanda Ripley, Simon & Schuster
If you work hard and practice the skills and techniques of this Hope Life Skills class by
- attending class each week,
- going on field trips and attending our special events,
- pushing out of your ‘comfort zone‘ to extend a friendly greeting to our guests,
- exchanging your business cards with guests
- doing your weekly homework,
- asking questions in class,
- creating a LinkedIn site and connect with successful people during the school year
- following up with the successful, honorable people you meet
YOU WILL BE SUCCESSFUL IN LIFE! For sure!!!
Here are the Skills and Techniques you will be taught in the Hope Life Skills class:
- ‘interpersonal skills’ which always leave a positive impression when you meet, greet, interact, and present to other people. Things like:
- how to greet successful people you meet for the first time and create a positive ‘first impression’
- a firm handshake,
- a smile,
- eye contact,
- a friendly greeting
- body language to impress and exhibit confidence
- asking questions
- the benefits of and how to stay in touch
- follow up emails, text messages, or a card saying ‘thank you’ or ‘it was nice to meet you’.
- how to greet successful people you meet for the first time and create a positive ‘first impression’
- Creating, developing, and protecting a great personal brand which others admire and respect, thus creating opportunities for success throughout your life.
- A brand that represents ‘responsibility’, ‘dependability’, ‘humility’, ‘conscientiousness’, ‘interest in learning’, and ‘kindness’.
- Building a network of successful, honorable, diverse people, many of whom come from different backgrounds and have different interests than you;
- AND, always nurturing your network by staying in touch with people through LinkedIn or by sending an occasional email, text, or greeting card to ensure people in your network won’t forget your brand and will support you throughout your entire life.
- AND, avoid adding people to your network who DO NOT HAVE the SAME VALUES as you.
- Telling YOUR personal story –
- in your spoken word (e.g. during a job interview or when meeting someone)
- written word (e.g. resume, emails, LinkedIn postings)
- through your body language (e.g. how you stand, sit, etc)
to create an impressive brand which helps
- build a great network of successful, honorable people
- realize ‘success’ is often about WHO you know rather than WHAT you know
- get a recommendation for a job or internship
- get the job or internship you want,
- get accepted into the college of your choice,
- get you the scholarship you need
- establish a relationship with someone you are interested in.
- learn about jobs you didn’t know existed, some
- may not exist yet, and what it takes to get the jobs you have an interest in.
- Understanding “change” is important and beneficial during life
- Understanding ‘mistakes’ or personal ‘failure’ can make you stronger, wiser, and more prepared to take advantage of your next opportunity.
- Saying ‘thank you’ to those who help you along the way.
Here’s a famous saying from United States President Theodore Roosevelt about the value of hard work, trying hard, and perseverance. I hope you find it as inspiring and thought provoking as I do –
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
1. Please list ONE adjective or descriptive phrase which describes your reaction to Arnell’s conversation with our class. AND, DON’T TELL ME “INTERESTING” OR “GREAT” OR “MUNDANE!” COME ON – you’re better than this. As Arnell challenged us today, “use your brain!! The brain is like any muscle in your body. If you push yourself and exercise it, it grows; it develops. If you don’t push yourself to work harder, your brain will atrophy and, thus, you become the prey in the predator pyramid“. Send your adjective or descriptive phrase to my email address by Tuesday, May 28th, 2019.
2. Send a “CONNECT” request to Arnell Claude Milhouse’s LinkedIn site.
3. If you’re a curious person and want to exercise your brain muscle, check out Arnell’s TED TALK.
TEDx Talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=silWG2dDRg0
AND Talk at Google: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYv_tQDG3H4
- Please send me, in a well written email, your perception of the brand of today’s guest, Claudia Cardozo. Please make sure your description of Claudia’s brand has perfect spelling, good grammar and punctuation, and short sentences by Tuesday, May 14, 2019. Thank you.
- Please send me, in a well written email, Claudia’s perception of YOUR BRAND. I realize her encounter with you was only during today’s class, for a few moments. However, often times, our opportunities to influence someone about your brand, who might observe you with others, at an event, class, or just walking down a school corridor with others, is only for a few moments. But, their observation COULD be impactful. You never know who will make a decision about a future opportunity and who in their network they will reach out to ask questions about your brand. This is why you always need to be aware of your actions in public. PEOPLE FORM PERCEPTIONS ABOUT YOUR BRAND DURING BRIEF MOMENTS. Please make sure your description of Claudia’s perception of your brand has perfect spelling, good grammar and punctuation, and short sentences by Tuesday, May 14, 2019. Thank you. I look forward to this answer. Your assessment will provide interesting insights into the present status of your personal development strategy. I look forward to providing you with my assessment how Claudia perceived your brand TODAY.
- Thank you for the constructive criticism you gave me today on the power point presentation I will present to Hope High sophomores about next year’s Life Skills program on May 24th. The mission of my presentation is to give sophomores realistic expectations about our class, i.e. what they can expect from me, their teacher; expectations about the guests they’ll meet in class; expectations of our special events and field trips; realistic expectations of the homework they will be expected to complete; expectations about attending class each week or a text or email to me when the student has a conflict which keeps them from attending; expectation to always tell the truth; realization that the Life Skills class is a credit class which will be part of their overall GPA (grade point average).
- PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR SUGGESTIONS for improving the power point presentation about the Life Skills program –
- Finally, I would appreciate your suggestions about creating an opportunity to meet with each student parent/guardian to share with them the mission of the Life Skills program.
- PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR suggestions to achieve my goal of meeting each parent/guardian of each student in the Life Skills program.
Please send your suggestions to my email address by Tuesday, May 7th, 2019. Thank you.
Please watch the following video and then, answer the following questions –
- please envision ONE more job which may be eliminated by artificial intelligent in the future.
- please name one of the 16 jobs mentioned in this video you think may not be eliminated by technology in the future and the reasons why this job may not be eliminated by technology.
PLEASE SEND YOUR WELL WRITTEN (PERFECT SPELLING AND PUNCTUATION, SHORT SENTENCES) ANSWERS TO MY EMAIL ADDRESS BY THURSDAY, APRIL 25TH. THANK YOU.